I recently sailed past the 19 month mark of breastfeeding Declan, and did so with a sigh. I’m grateful for being able to nurse for so long, but the truth is that I’m ready to be done anytime now. I started out with a 6 month goal, which turned to 1 year once I exceeded my initial length. At the one year mark, I assumed (especially being pregnant twice) that Declan would just self-wean…and soon. Not the case, pregnancy hormones didn’t put him off…at all. And while it was painful, it was nothing compared to the pain of clogged ducts, so I nursed through it. Now? I long for the day that I can reclaim my breasts. Completely tongue-in-cheek, here are some signs that you may be ready to stop breastfeeding:
- Like an automaton, you proffer your breast when you hear the words milk, milkies, boob, boobie, etc. [or any utterance that sounds remotely similar].
- You gaze longingly at your regular bras, tucked into the far reaches of your lingerie drawer, and haven’t the slightest recollection of the last time you wore one.
- Why buy the milk when you get mama’s milk for free is no longer a humorous saying. In fact, you’re thinking about charging at this point.
- You’re ready to disassociate yourself from the Got Milk? campaign.
- You’re seriously questioning having another baby any time in the near future [because the thought of another nursling makes you cringe].
- You no longer think the I’m a Boob Man onesie is cute. At all.
- You’re ready to wear something other than tank tops and cardigans [because, you know, you stopped wearing nursing clothing LONG ago].
- Nursing in public? Pfft! No biggie [almost everyone’s glimpsed my breasts at this point].
- Your little one can now ask to nurse…using a complete sentence.
- Even your grungiest regular bra looks appealing.
While I’m hoping that I won’t still be nursing when the next Big Latch On event takes place in August, I do hope you consider taking part in this event to promote breastfeeding awareness — you can find information pertaining to getting involved with your local event HERE.